SENTRI: Privileged Border Crossing

Privileged Crossing
Before approaching the border agent in the SENTRI lane, the RFID card and windshield-mounted sensor show the agent a photo of who to expect. For many, there’s a bit of mystery surrounding the golden ticket we call the SENTRI pass. To get it, you have to submit your weight in paperwork — birth certificate, passport, social security card, drivers license, residence and employment history, vehicle docs (VIN, plates, registration, insurance), proof of residence, employment, pay stubs, bank statements, etc. They run a background check and laser-scan your fingerprints. It’s straight out of Gattaca.

[ view more images of border crossing | slideshow ]

Gravatar efrain wrote @ July 11th, 2007 at 5:56 am

Man, that’s a lot of info. I can only hope is doesn’t get into the wrong hands since it might be stored in the same place.

Gravatar Chris Gibbs wrote @ July 12th, 2007 at 8:00 am

Wow, that’s a ton of paperwork – I didn’t even have to have that much when I had my name legally changed!

Btw, haven’t been to the site in a while but I like the new design!

Gravatar xoloitzquintle wrote @ July 14th, 2007 at 6:01 pm

I am surprised you didn’t get a whole lot of grief for taking the pictures. I am sure someone noticed (Big Brother?).

They are fantastic.

Gravatar Joe wrote @ July 16th, 2007 at 7:14 pm

i had no idea it was that crazy. also, gattaca is a great movie.

Gravatar cristian murguia wrote @ August 7th, 2007 at 11:28 am

how long did it take for u to get sentri? (im currently in the process)

Gravatar Nathan wrote @ August 7th, 2007 at 3:52 pm

I waited five months (about two years ago). I hear they’ve adjusted the process to be faster… Let me know when you get it how long you had to wait!

Gravatar cristian murguia wrote @ August 7th, 2007 at 3:54 pm

ok i will. i need it by next month because i live in tj and i dont want to wait in line

Gravatar chris wrote @ August 22nd, 2007 at 7:22 am

anyone interested in lobbying to get the sentri lanes open 24/7? the times that i need to use the lanes they’re closed! (at san ysidro).

Gravatar k baliss wrote @ September 9th, 2007 at 9:01 am

what time does the sentri open and close?

Gravatar Nathan wrote @ September 10th, 2007 at 7:22 am

k baliss,

At San Ysidro, it’s open from 4am to midnight every day. Otay is 5am to 8pm. The CPB.gov site isn’t very easy to navigate, but here’s a page that lists the times:

Gravatar cristian wrote @ November 15th, 2007 at 5:19 pm

it took me less than 2 weeks to get it because i got a immigration lawyer involved. sorry it took my so long

Gravatar Maria Sanchez wrote @ November 30th, 2007 at 11:56 am

SENTRI pass is great though. Very helpful if you are traveling across border a lot. I travel for work and the pass has proven super useful. It can be a pain, but once you finally get it, it is truly priceless. Here is an article that tells you not only the times of operation, but also the process of obtaining your pass.

Gravatar sigifredo gutierrez wrote @ February 5th, 2009 at 11:26 am

how can I applied to get a sentri pass