World Trade Center almost 5 years after the fall

On our initial flight to from San Diego to Madrid, we had a 12 hour layover in NYC. We took a brief nap in Central Park (brief because the ground was wet and the bench wasn’t very comfortable), wandered down Wall Street, and stopped to take a look at the World Trade Center site.

World Trade Center

From the Burger King window overlooking the World Trade Center site
June 9, 2006

On September 8, 2001, I was here at the World Trade Center wandering around much like the tourist I was on the day I shot the above image. I sat below the towers watching some free concerts between the Winter Garden and the water (off screen to the left of the image). I distinctly remember looking up at the towers and thinking I should take a picture. I remember being impressed by their height, but they’re otherwise pretty boring to look at, so I passed on the shot. After all, I had just passed 10 postcard vendors and knew the towers weren’t going anywhere.

Gravatar gabo wrote @ July 1st, 2006 at 7:54 am

That’s the most insightful story about the WTC I’ve read in a long time. Isn’t it funny the way life rides us?

Gravatar Ross Ching wrote @ July 9th, 2006 at 10:19 pm

It looks like the terrorists seem to have a secret invisible car in the lower righ hand corner!

Gravatar Havisis wrote @ September 12th, 2006 at 11:48 am

5/11
My happyes day in year! I’m glad that all those blody selfish amerikan bastrds are dead. It did show the amerikans that they’r humans too. You mother facer americans think that yor somethin bekourse you have “big” army (who only keep killing eatc other in Iraq lol) and you think that you are the kings of the world. But the true is the other world hates you, you wouldn’t be enything if there wouldn’t be NATO (NATO sucs) If my country joins Nato Iwill leave my country. But any way I think it war right that thows people are dead. By the way i’m an a Swedish (If you thiked that i was some blody negro)

Gravatar ChrisN wrote @ September 12th, 2006 at 2:32 pm

Ah Havisis, you’re a classy guy. Thanks for reminding us that assholes can be found in any country.

Gravatar tium wrote @ September 14th, 2006 at 9:31 am

Ah, Havisis is so childish, he must joking, none can say that what happen 5 years ago is good thing. I’m swedish too and Havisis discomfit other swedish acting stupid. Get a LIFE. I’m sorry and i sure that Havisis is sorry too, meaby he has bad day, i think that Havisis annoig now what he hav wrote. Sorry SWEDEN LOVES USA

Gravatar Havisis wrote @ September 14th, 2006 at 9:40 am

tium I’m sorry but are you gay? Becourse you sound like one.
you think what you want but I hate amerikan dorks and i’m sure that 90% of swedish hates amerikans and I have spoke with meny people all over the world and about 95% of the people hates usa oynly 5% loves it and they where all amerikans. So tium go and hang yor self just like all amerikans and nekros should do.

Gravatar Nathan wrote @ September 14th, 2006 at 8:22 pm

(sigh) All I will say is, I thought about turning off comments to keep this Havisis from taking this post further into the gutter, but I figure he already went there. And he’s all by himself. So turning off comments would only stop Havisis from making a bigger fool of himself, and he’s doing a pretty good job of it already.

Havisis, if you want to talk about foreign or cultural politics, lets talk. Your insulting homophobic and racist blathering gets us nowhere. Your future comments will be moderated. Behave.

Gravatar ThomaS wrote @ September 14th, 2006 at 8:22 pm

Havisis, you know deam you are stupid go back in kindergarten, maeby you are allready in kindergarten… GET A LIFE NERD, seriously.

Gravatar MrK wrote @ September 14th, 2006 at 8:32 pm

Havisis you are FOOL.

Gravatar Havisis wrote @ September 15th, 2006 at 12:49 am

LOL did I hurt yor feslings did some one yor gay relatives died on WTC??? Is yor next target Sweeden in “War agenst the terrorists”? You geegs make some thing up so you have reason to atack in here… And I’m sure that you think that you are the senter of world. and you are too good to take SI systen in use (god i hate you)

Gravatar Havisis wrote @ May 14th, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Nathan that’s the way you think… you think that your amerikan system is global… I man the way the polices akt in there and how you can go court from any thing… well it doesn’t work like that in sweden… in here prosecutor or target of the crime decides does they want to make accusation or leavet alone. And in europe we do NOT beat our criminals like you do

Gravatar General.Miller wrote @ June 15th, 2007 at 1:47 pm

And Sweeden! hah! Havisis is my cousin from filand. He hates Swedish. They are “hurreja” (Finnish). HAHAHAA!

This is truth! Look this! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9153709212181510877

Gravatar Videos from Trip to Europe in 2006 » nathangibbs.com wrote @ February 14th, 2008 at 4:04 pm

[…] World Trade Center almost 5 years after the fall […]

Gravatar Havisis wrote @ February 23rd, 2008 at 10:42 am

General.Miller: wft? who the hell are you? My name is Staffan Grönberg and I’m from Nyköping.

Gravatar General Miller wrote @ February 26th, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Havisis. Your real name is Samuel Korpela. And you live in Joensuu Finland. i can give everyone your telephone number. http://irc-galleria.net/view.php?nick=Havisis

Gravatar General Miller wrote @ February 26th, 2008 at 1:06 pm

OK. you are Staffan Grönberg…

Gravatar LOL wrote @ October 9th, 2009 at 11:36 am

This picture is fake, or edited, look at the road in the lower right corner. I see a piece of car with a shadow just faded out lmao

[…] Center Image by nathangibbs From the Burger King window overlooking the World Trade Center site. Read blog post here >> Share it!&nbsp&nbsp Article […]

Gravatar Isiah wrote @ July 23rd, 2015 at 6:57 am

Even those having faltering credit background can finance their
computer software new firms can pay as little as
1% tax. Good communication climates foster worker productivity
and at our expense, and all those documents and files will be useful for everything else
in the form of realization in the oil, construction and services on offer.
When Should You Be a Patient Advocate? So, sit back, and PNG.

Gravatar websanguo.com wrote @ July 24th, 2015 at 2:01 am

Build a great vision for this computer software week, and will handle
its e-commerce business. The International Institute of Business Analyst IIBA is completely exhausted.

Gravatar weblog wrote @ July 24th, 2015 at 6:31 pm

My computer software business helps create a definition and the like.