Tijuana Marathon (2013)

After running the San Diego Rock ‘n Roll Marathon in 2012, I was curious if there was a marathon in Tijuana. Sure enough, 2012 was the second time they were running the Tijuana marathon. I wasn’t up for running these two back to back, so I had it on my mind to run it next year.

IMDET (Instituto Municipal del Deporte de Tijuana) hosts the marathon for free. I knew I needed to get started training, but I wasn’t sure when the race was until I received this response to my inquiry on Twitter:

They then posted the promo poster (not high enough resolution to read the details):

tijuana-marathon-2013

On Runkeeper, I found last year’s route, too:

Tijuana Marathon Race Map

tijuana-marathon-map

So. Who’s in? :)

Gravatar gabo wrote @ April 25th, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Not ready for a marathon just yet but I will definitly run the half marathon.

May 12th is the Ensenada half marathon, by the way…

Gravatar Nathan wrote @ April 25th, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Nice! I’ll send you an email when it gets closer if you want to meet up before the race.

Gravatar Tim wrote @ May 2nd, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Thanks for this info! Really helpful! I’m looking to run it in 2013 too but don’t know much at all about the area. I’m from the Texas/Oklahoma area and I hear our border works a little different. But could you please email me any links or information on this year’s race that you know of? Such as if the course is going to be the same? I’ve never been to the San Diego area either so whatever you would recommend for packet pick up and stuff?

Gravatar Nathan wrote @ May 2nd, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Tim,

Here’s all the info:

It notes registration and badge pickup location (Unidad Deportiva CREA). If you have never been to Tijuana, finding your way around could be a challenge. I would suggest asking a taxi to take you there. You can walk across the border in either direction, and take the trolley to and from San Diego.

The marathon isn’t really marketed to English speakers, as noted that the only race info is in Spanish. You’ll have to be ready to speak Spanish and be ready for the unexpected. Tijuana is a great place but you have to be flexible and plan ahead.

Good luck!

Gravatar Chris wrote @ June 10th, 2013 at 10:58 am

Hi

I’m over in Los Angeles from the UK when this is on and am interested in doing it. I’m about two hours from Tijuana so it will need careful planning. From what I can gather (using Google translate) registration is on the Saturday and the race is at 6:30am on the Sunday. Looks like it is about a mile from the border so not sure if I should be trying to park in Tijuana or park in USA and walk or bus across. IT looks like the finish is quite close to the start.

Gravatar Christine wrote @ July 8th, 2013 at 1:16 am

Is the event still open for registration? Do they have a 10k or 5k option?

Gravatar Nathan wrote @ July 8th, 2013 at 10:39 am

Chris, the links above take you to an online registration form. You then pick up your badge the day before the race.

Christine, the event is only half and full marathon. There are a lot of 5k and 10k races in the city throughout the year. I suggest you follow this Facebook page for more on those: https://www.facebook.com/yotambiencorroentijuana

Gravatar Dick wrote @ July 5th, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Awesome! Its truly amazing post, I have got much clear idea on the topic of from this piece of writing.